This is a PowerShell script for the automatic installation of the latest version of the Total7zip plugin in FreeCommander XE.
7-Zip is one of the most complete archivers supporting a huge range of compressed file types. Total7zip plugin does not require 7-Zip to be installed on the device.
- Automatic download and installation of the latest version of the Total7zip plugin.
- Automatic configuration of FreeCommander XE for the appropriate file associations (7z, xz, bzip2, gzip, tar, zip, arj, cab, chm, cpio, cramfs, deb, dmg, fat, hfs, iso, lzh, lzma, mbr, msi, nsis, ntfs, rar, rpm, squashfs, udf, vhd, wim, xar, z, gz)
- Run again to update 7-Zip library to the latest version (if available).
- Automatic backup of the original configuration files before performing any changes.
- Works with 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Free Commander XE.
- No need to install 7-Zip on the device.
- Open Source for maximum transparency. You can also use it to learn PowerShell :)
- Terminate the FreeCommander XE application
- Download the total7zipinstaller.ps1 script. If you are running a portable version save the script inside the FreeCommander installation folder so it can detect the path automatically.
- Run the total7zipinstaller.ps1 script: right click on the file (context menu) -> select Run with Powershell. Depending on your Windows configuration, you might have allow the execution or even 'unblock' the script (see troubleshooting).
- If you are running FreeCommander from a custom installation directory, enter the full directory path, otherwise just continue. The script will try to find the correct path.
- If your FreeCommander configuration files are in a custom directory, enter the full path for the configuration directory, otherwise just continue. The script will try to find the correct path.
- After the installation, start FreeCommander and test packing and unpacking a 7z file.
- From FreeCommander XE configuration menu, delete the entries for the 7Zip archiver plugin.
- Delete the Plugins/wcx/Total7zip folder from the FreeCommander XE installation folder (usually Program Files\Free Commander XE).
- Not able to download the Total7zip package: Download the Total7Zip.zip file from the repository. Place in the same folder as the script and run the script again.
- Script was blocked because it was not signed: Right click on the script file, select properties and 'unblock'.
- Why did you disabled the built-in plugins? 7-Zip library is offers more configuration options and is compatible with more file types. I disabled the standard plugins to keep a consistent user experience among different packagers.
- Can I re-enable the built in plugins? Yes, all plugins can co-exist. If you don't change the order they will be used as prioritary for opening the specified file types. When packing you will always be presented all the options available.
- Is it safe to run a PowerShell script? Safer than a compiled binary file - you can see how it works even before downloading (from GitHub). I took extra precautions to explain all commands used in the script.
Note about the package download source
- The Total7zip ZIP package is available in the GitHub repository but due hosting limitations, the script will download the payload from my personal Web-page. Both files are identical.
Version 1.4 (24/10/2021)
- Fixed the FreeCommander default installation directory for the 32-bit version
Version 1.3 (14/03/2021)
- Updated 7-Zip library to 21.01 alpha as several important bugs were fixed since version 19
Version 1.2 (21/10/2020)
- Fixed BOM in the generated INI configuration files.
- Fixed installation on systems without the built-in archiver plugins configured.
- Automatic detection of installation path if the script is placed in the FreeCommander.exe installation folder (nice for Portable versions).
- Display the script version during startup.
Version 1.11 (20/10/2020)
- Added a final pause to prevent the PowerShell window from closing automatically in some systems.
Version 1.1 (19/10/2020)
- Automatic detection of the settings folder for portable installations
- Automatic detection of 32-bit and 64-bit FC versions
- Using %FCSrcPath% relative paths instead of hard-linked plugin locations ensuring full portability
- Improved user interface with some colors
Version 1.0 (15/10/2020)
- Initial release
7-Zip Copyright © 1999-2020 Igor Pavlov
Total 7-Zip plugin from TotalCmd.net
FreeCommander XE Copyright © 2004-2020 Marek Jasinski
Bugs and feature requests
- Please contact me using the comments section below.